HOW TO COMMUNICATE RESPECTFULLY TO SOLVE PROBLEMS
“The spirit of Liberty is the spirit of not being too sure you are right.”
* Justice Learned Hand
1. Listen actively, with your body and mind. Make eye contact.
2. Separate people from problems. Be hard on the problem and soft on the people.
3. Describe behavior, not attitude.
4. Express the workplace need.
5. Ask for suggestions and input.
6. Create options to satisfy the other person’s interest as well as your own.
7. Maintain the self-esteem of all.
8. Make “I” statements rather than “you” statements.
9. Re-frame negative statement into “How to’s” so they are open for solutions.
10. Follow through on what you commit to do.
“It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.”
– John Wooden